Proudly Affiliated with WashingtonFishingFools.com

Check Out Washingtonfishingfools.com you will like it there!

Dropshot rig - By CK14

The dropshot rig is one of the best but hardest techniques to master. When I first started using them, I hated it with a passion! But i kept with it because it seemed like all the guys in F&H news said it was the go-to bait everywhere! Here are a few tips that can help you get a few more fish into the boat...

The Rig: The dropshot rig itself consists of a small finesse hook tied directly on the line a little ways above the sinker (about 6"-12"). Try to get the hook to stand straight up. One of the best knots for dropshots is the Palomar. And after you're done tying the knot, DO NOT clip the tag end (unless it is longer then needed), because this will be the leader from the hook to the weight.

Gear: Good quality gear is key for dropshotting, from the line to the rod. I like to use 6lb McCoy copolymer for my main line and 6lb Seaguar florocarbon for my drop shot leader. sounds light, but i've never had 6lb line break on me while dropshotting! I use floro for my leader because it's translucent in the water. For hooks I either use Gamakatsu dropshot/splitshot hooks in size 6 or a Owner downshot hook in 1/0. i use the Gamakatsu's for nose hooking and wacky rigging and I use the Owner's for Texas rigging. I mainly use the Owner's for larger baits (to long or thick for size 6). Quickdrops have always been my favorite dropshot weights, 3/16oz is what I use most of the time. A good, quality, sensitive rod is VERY important to feel light bites that often occur while dropshotting. I have caught a few 3lb-4lb largemouth that when i felt the initial hit i thought it was a small perch! A 6 1/2'-7' medium light-medium action rod is good. And a fast tip helps a lot also, not only for feel, but to get good action on the bait as well.

Baits: Almost any soft plastic bait can be dropshotted, but baits with tails that will wiggle work best. Some of my favorites are....

Sniper Snubs (Dark brown or watermelon w/copper flake)
GYCB 3.5" Cut Tail Worms (194J or 240)
KGM Tadpolls (hard to find, but Angler's Choice has them.) (Green pumpkin)
GYCB 3" senkos (176 or 194)
FX Sculpin Robo Worms (Aaron's magic)

How To Fish It: Dropshots can be fished almost anywhere, but they are AMAZING around docks & rocks. I rarely drop the rig right below the boat, but i know many people do. I like to flip the bait out a little ways instead (around 10-20') from the boat and slowly wiggle it back to the boat. I don't like to cast it far though because this will make me lose my feel for the bait, and it will make the bait sit horizontal instead of verticle. I like to keep the sinker on the bottom and wiggle the bait in place, bass cannot stand this. When you do get a fish on, be sure not to horse them in on 6lb line. And after each fish you catch, make sure your line doesn't have any defects.

I hope some of these tips help you out some! Let me know if you have any questions! I should mention that most of the gear and baits i suggested are for smallmouth. I have not used it much for largemouth but i plan on doing it soon!

here are some pics...




No comments: